Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Fundraiser of Sorts.

I was inspired while up in Virginia
at my amiga's house
to make a growth chart for Selah.
She had one that looked like this:

Source: etsy.com via Melonie on Pinterest



I loved the look of it, but wanted it on wood instead.
Like a vintage ruler.
These babies are already available on etsy,
but the nicer ones range from $70-$80 before shipping.
This is when I usually say to myself,
"Self: You can totally make that."

So I did.
And it turned out pretty cute.


Then, some pals of mine suggested that I sell them.
Hmmm, I thought.
That could be a great way to earn $$$ for our trip out west in a few months
to partake in the wedding festivities of this happy couple:

{My lovely childhood bff and her main squeeze}

And that seemed swell.

So, yeah, your cashflow won't be benefitting orphans.
{whom I love}.
Or the local girl scout troop.
{you can buy cookies for that....}
But, it will get you a super cute wall hanging
that transports with you if you move
and will be an heirloom in your family for decades to come.
It's more like a FUNraiser if you will...


Truth is, that you can TOTALLY make this yourself.
I had most of the supplies already, so my expense was smaller.
But if you need to gather the tools, here you go:

Home Depot:
$8 6 foot tall piece of wood
$5 stain
$ 4 hooks
$3 paintbrush
$ 2 sandpaper
$8 chalkboard paint (or other black paint)
I liked the texture of the chalkboard paint against the wood grain...

Hobby Lobby:
$9 stencils
$6 clear coat protective spray paint

plus some good ole time and elbow grease.
{Those stencils and lines are a little high maintenance.}
I fashioned up my own little template to help make the line size uniform.

I'll charge $50 for local orders.
If you are outside of Central Florida but would like one,
I'll look in to rates for shipping and just tack that on to your cost.

You might want to forward this link to your mom or mom-in-law.
I guess these are really popular for in the grandparent circles, too. :)

It would be rad if I sold 5 or 10.
Totally overwhelming if I sold more.
But in a good way!
If I do get orders, I'll take more photos
so that I can post a DIY tutorial if y'all would like.

Email me if you'd like to have one of your very own. :)

Haven't written down your child's height every 6 months?
Join this slacker in getting records from the ole pediatrician.
Then, let's set an Annoyster reminder on the smartphone
so that every 6 months we remember to write it down.
What a fun way to treasure our kiddies.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I pinned it so hopefully that'll send some shoppers your way!

    ReplyDelete