Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Little Twist on The Elf on the Shelf.

Most of you have heard of the Elf on the Shelf.
You know, the freaky looking doll type thing
with a cheap felt outfit that is sold for $30?
Yeah, him.  

Well, that seemed like a few too many dolla bills to pay for that guy.
And, he was a little creepy for our taste.
So, with the help of my "idea friend" Jessica, a new concept was born.

Take Buddy the Elf, from the Christmas movie that everyone loves,
                                                                         Source: Uploaded by user via Melonie on Pinterest


and make a bendy small version of him to use as our resident North Pole representative.

This trip to Hobby Lobby was my version of being a fat kid in a cupcake shop.
I realized that day if there was a way for me to be paid for hatching ideas
and coming up with a vision and executing projects like this,
that I just might have found the perfect job.
{Let me know if that job is out there, k?}

The first hurdle was coming up with some sort of a body form
That was until a beam of light came from the painting aisle and
shone straight on to this baby right here.


He's bendy.  And has magnetic feet and hands.
Major score.

                                                                     Source: downtownindependent.com via Melonie on Pinterest

I had multiple pictures of Buddy pulled up on my iphone
so that I was able to find just the right materials to match his look.

I lucked out and had good quality felt from the Advent Tree that I had just made.
{So he is already better dressed than the other elves out there. :)
This wool is the elf equivalent of Armani, folks.}








I kinda wanted to just leave him faceless,
for fear that my AWFUL drawing/painting skills would ruin my otherwise fantastic creation.

This is where Google {once again} saved my life.
I googled "elf face" and found a lovely elementary mug for this guy
that I was able to copy on to his face.









And would you believe, as soon as his face dried,
that little booger started dancing up a storm?
His favorite band is the Village People.
Imagine my surprise as he started doing the YMCA....





Really, folks, this guy was a really fun addition to our Christmas season.
We adhered to the "don't touch the elf" rule,
but didn't really stick with the whole the elf will rat you out to Santa concept,
{seeing as how we are all about grace in this family and all...}

During his time at our house,
he hung Selah's underwears on the tree, went fishing in the toilet, 
read books, rode Barbie's horse, colored in her coloring books,
did acrobatics on the cupboards, and hid in a few other fun places.  

I'll be honest, I'm kinda sad to pack him up until next year...
til then, Buddy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment